Relief Counsellor – Job Summary (ongoing posting)
As the ideal candidate you have a Post Secondary Education in Social Work or related field as well as experience counselling women and children who have experienced abuse. Successful candidates will have the ability to handle a crisis, work in a team, carry out independent and group decision making, and handle several tasks simultaneously. Strong organizational and written and verbal communication skills is a must. Proficiency is second language is considered an asset.
- As a Relief Counsellor, you provide crisis intervention and community referrals to telephone/crisis callers, office visits and in-house residents.
- Maintain an active knowledge and list of various community service providers to effectively service clients.
- Determine eligibility of women requesting entry into the shelter as a possible resident.
- Assist women in identifying their needs, exploring options and resources; educating the women on the issue of abuse and providing support to the families in order for them to make decisions and formulate plans.
- You will provide in-house orientation with new residents and oversee communal living requirements as well as facilitate meetings to assist residents with conflict resolution and clarification of house guidelines. Ensure that all Family and Children’s Services reporting requirements are adhered to and that a professional working relationship is maintained.
- Hours vary, as needed
This is an ongoing posting and resumes will be considered as vacancies become available. All interested applicants should send their resume with accompanying cover letter to:
Jennifer De Angelis
Shelter Operations Manager
PO Box 853
Niagara Falls ON L2E 6V6
Women’s Place of South Niagara is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the AODA (Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), Women’s Place will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and / or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability-related accommodations, please inform the Executive Director. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Women’s Place of South Niagara is committed to a diverse workplace and to delivering inclusive services. Applications are encouraged from all backgrounds.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our agency; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.