Background and Statistics
Women’s Place began as two sister organizations in Niagara Falls and Welland. Both shelters operated independently before becoming one agency in 1997.
Nova House, our Niagara Falls shelter, began with the group Niagara Women in Crisis, which purchased and opened Nova House in 1983. Originally located in what is now “Rotary House” on Thorold Stone Rd, the shelter moved to its current location in 2007.
Our Welland shelter has its roots in Women’s Place (Welland & District) Inc. This group opened its first shelter in 1981. They later purchased land for and built the shelter now known as Serenity Place, which opened in 1996. Renovations were recently completed to the administrative section and the residential quarters to better service clients at Serenity Place.
Women’s Place of South Niagara Statistics 2016/17
– Our shelters provided emergency shelter for 292 women and children (168 women, 124 children)
– Legal services were provided to 232 clients through our outreach services
– 2,197 calls were received on our 24-hour support line
– 9,198 bed nights were provided in our emergency shelters
– 203 women received counselling through our office visit program
– 170 women were assisted through our Transitional Housing & Support Program